In this episode of The Remarkable Leadership Podcast, we get the chance to boost our trivia knowledge with a history lesson. Dr. Howard Markel, the author of The Kelloggs The Battling Brothers of Battle Creek, joins Kevin to discuss the story of the Kellogg brothers; their relationship and the building of an empire. Dr. John Harvey Kellogg was the big brother and one of America’s most beloved physicians. In his time, he was a best-selling author, lecturer, health-magazine publisher; and founder of the famed Battle Creek Sanitarium. His youngest brother, Will, who worked with him became the founder of the Battle Creek Toasted Corn Flake Company, which revolutionized the mass production of food and what we eat for breakfast. Their dynamic and strained relationship help us identify different leadership strengths (and weaknesses) and dependence on each other for success.
In this episode, Dr. Markel:
- Gives us an overview of the Kellogg name.
- Defines the Founder Effect.
Ask yourself: Can you identify with John Harvey or Will?
Leave your answer in the comments below.
Additional Leadership Resources
- Book Recommendations:
- Tune In: The Beatles: All These Years by Mark Lewisohn
- Hank and Jim: The Fifty-Year Friendship of Henry Fonda and James Stewart by Scott Eyman
- Learn more about Dr. Howard Markel.
- Get our free report: The Secrets of Becoming a Remarkable Leader
- Sign up for our free video training series, 13 Days to Remarkable Leadership.
- Get your free copy of my inspiring e-book, 101 Ways to Unleash Your Potential.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Don’t miss an episode! Subscribe to this podcast through the options below.
Leave a Review
If you liked this conversation, we’d be thrilled if you’d let others know by leaving a review on iTunes. Here’s a quick guide for posting a review.
Join Our Facebook Group
Join our Facebook community to network with like-minded leaders, ask us questions, suggest guests and more. We welcome your wealth of experience and hope you will join us in sharing it with others on their leadership journey.
You can join the group here: facebook.com/groups/RemarkableLeadershipPodcast/