Defining your team’s purpose is not only important; it is pragmatic. Once you have the purpose, it is easier to decide when to collaborate and when individuals should act. Carlos Valdes-Dapena is a coach and the author of Lessons from Mars: How One Global Company Cracked the Code on High Performance Collaboration and Teamwork and Virtual Teams: Holding the Center When You Can’t Meet Face-to-Face. He joins Kevin to discuss why conventional approaches to making teams better don’t necessarily work. Through extensive research working directly with brands like M&M’s and Snickers, he found that you need to be intentional about collaboration. Leaders need to clarify why it matters and how individuals benefit from working together. This is especially true for achievement-driven people who are innately motivated to get stuff done.
In this episode, Carlos discusses:
- His lessons on collaboration from working at Mars.
- High Performance Collaboration Framework.
- Remote work and collaboration.
Ask yourself: What work should you do together?
Leave your answer in the comments below.
This episode is brought to you by…
From Manager to Remarkable Leader, Kevin’s Flagship workshop based on his proven leadership model.
Additional Leadership Resources
- Book Recommendations:
- Lessons from Mars: How One Global Company Cracked the Code on High Performance Collaboration and Teamwork by Carlos Valdes-Dapena
- Virtual Teams: Holding the Center When You Can’t Meet Face-to-Face by Carlos Valdes-Dapena
- The Evening and the Morning by Ken Follett
- Effortless: The Counter-Intuitive Business Growth Formula for Coaches, Consultants, Authors, Speakers, and Experts by Danny Iny
- The Grief Recovery Handbook: The Action Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Losses including Health, Career, and Faith by John W. James and Russell Friedman
- Connect with Carlos Valdes-Dapena:
- Related Podcast Episodes:
Follow the Podcast
Don’t miss an episode! Follow this podcast through the options below.
Leave a Review
If you liked this conversation, we’d be thrilled if you’d let others know by leaving a review on iTunes. Here’s a quick guide for posting a review.
Join Our Facebook Group
Join our Facebook community to network with like-minded leaders, ask us questions, suggest guests and more. We welcome your wealth of experience and hope you will join us in sharing it with others on their leadership journey.
You can join the group here: facebook.com/groups/RemarkableLeadershipPodcast/